The Hubble Legacy Archive (HLA) is designed to optimize science from the Hubble Space Telescope by providing online, enhanced Hubble products and advanced browsing capabilities. The HLA is a joint project of the Space Telescope Science Institute, the European Coordinating Facility, and the Canadian Astronomy Data Centre. Some of the primary enhancements include:
- Putting the data online for immediate access
- Adding a footprint service to make it easier to browse and download images
- Providing more extensive “composite images” (e.g., stacked, color, mosaics)
- Improving absolute astrometry (i.e., from ~ 1-2″ to ~ 0.3″) when there is sufficient overlap with the Guide Star Catalog 2 (GSC2) See FAQ #3
- Developing source lists 6. NICMOS grism extractions (produced at ECF)
We are currently in the Early Data Release phase of the project (e.g., the HLA only includes ~25% of the ACS data), with the more formal Data Release-1 planned for the Winter 2007.